Are you rich and famous yet? Some people would have you believe that all you need to build a super-successful business are a good product or service, healthy self-confidence, and undying passion for your work.
If that were really true you'd already be filthy rich and obscenely famous, right? But fact is, the old "do a good job and clients will come" marketing advise is the biggest pile of rubbish ever invented!
So here is an eye-opening "BIG SECRET" that just might make "good fortune" come your way: it's not how good your product and service is, and it's certainly not your passion. It's your ability to attract and retain clients!
OK, so you already knew that, right? Now let me show you how fixing a few "little problems" in five key areas in your marketing system can easily make you out-smart and out-perform all those "highly skilled and motivated" folks with a deep aversion to real marketing.
and implement solutions to these problems, your business
will turn into a lean, mean, client-attraction machine.
1. Lack of visibility. If not enough people know about you, it will always be a challenge to get enough new business. If this is you, the following might be some of your challenges:
You don't know the value of each client and don't invest enough in marketing.
Obviously, zeroing in a specific target market, knowing how much you can invest to get a client, and forking over a few dollars to get your message in front of a group of good potential clients would fix this problem in no time at all!
2. Lack of interest. If you find that people are aware of what you do but don't express desire to learn more about how you could help them, you've got a whole new different set of problems:
Perhaps you are confused about who your target market is and are barking up the wrong tree.
3. Poor conversion. This is when you can't convince folks who express interest in your product or service to actually become paid clients. If this is your challenge, check if any of these statements right true for you:
You are unclear about the real value of your offer and find it difficult convincing prospects that it's worth paying money for
4. Poor retention. When clients use your services only once and don't come back for more. Any mega-successful entrepreneur will quickly tell you that this is how the BIG MONEY in business is made. Yet most professionals are oblivious to this and keep chasing new business instead of expanding their work with existing clients.
If you feel your clients aren't sticking around for as long as you'd like them to, explore these possible problems:
Your marketing promise doesn't match the reality.
5. Lack of referrals. OK, this is really confusing: you do a good job, you're passionate about your work, and you really care about your clients. In fact - they couldn't be more satisfied with their outcomes. But still - they don't give you nearly as many referrals as you know they could... Want to know why? Here it is...
Do you have at least one proven referral process you consistently use with all clients?
So listen, doing a good job and being confident and passionate about your work is certainly important. But just don't bank your retirement money on that alone! Consider throwing a bit of marketing savvy into the mix and watch your bottom line grow like never before!
Find out here how you can create a simple marketing action plan that finally gets you all the new business you want.
© 2004 Marketing Mentors. All Rights Reserved.
The Author, Marketing Mentor, Adam Urbanski, works exclusively with Independent Service Professionals who want to grow their business, attract more clients, and increase sales and profits. Visit his website for more free tutorial articles and how-to tips to creating a winning Marketing Action Plan.
Social networking icons by komodomedia.com.
Site copyright © 2000-2011 by Shel Horowitz